Investment to bring innovation to market
The Research and Innovation Fund (RIF) supports researchers, entrepreneurs and businesses to accelerate their progress with funding from the South Australian Government.
Please note: the Research, Commercialisation and Startup Fund (RCSF) is now named the Research and Innovation Fund (RIF). Programs operating under this Government of South Australia initiative have not changed.
Research and Innovation Fund principles
Industry Investment Principles
- The project is focussed on at least one of the identified growth sectors. The project will enable at least one of the following:
- Drive high paying and sustainable jobs;
- Attract and retain young wealth creators;
- Lead to the growth or creation of value-added products and service industries; or
- Drive export industries’ productivity efficiency and capacity.
- The investment would not otherwise occur without financial support from the State Government.
- There should not be displacement of existing businesses as a result of the project proceeding.
- The financial support is transitional, and the project is financially sustainable over time without the need for further State Government financial support.
- The quantum of financial support provided is appropriate given the economic benefits that are delivered.
- The financial support is conditional on the recipient meeting agreed milestones and outcomes.
RIF Investment Principles
- The investment delivers on the innovation commitments within the State Government’s strategic plans and priorities.
- The investment is supported by key stakeholders through provision of cash and/or in-kind resources.
- The investment strengthens the State’s research and development capacity and capability.
- The investment encourages greater business investment in research, development and innovation.
- The investment supports the commercialisation of products and services with clear potential to benefit the State through the creation of high-value jobs, revenue and exports.
- The investment contributes to the growth and development of the State’s entrepreneurial and innovation ecosystem to enable organisations to grow and scale into global markets.
- The investment enables early-stage businesses to grow and scale through improved access to finance, skills, technology and markets
Current program and initiatives
Equipping innovative, early-stage South Australian startups with grant funding to support the commercialisation of an innovative product or service.
Supporting programs, events and activities that have broad benefit to the startup community.